Molecular & electronic structure & conductivity specifically at interfaces studied using non-linear optical tools
Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research is hiring a first stage researcher within the framework of the UHMob MSCA ITN action (GA n°811284).
Please find a detailed offer and requirements below.
This project aims to elucidate, the interfacial electronic properties and the mobility of charges in the molecularly thin region near the metal or dielectric-semiconductor interface. To selectively study interfacial processes, we will use surface-specific nonlinear optical methods like second harmonic and sum-frequency generation. Experiments will be performed on model systems on different supports, and in devices, where correlations between interfacial molecular organization – affected by, e.g. deposition and annealing methods – and device performance will be investigated.
The ideal candidate will have MSc in Physics or physical chemistry or equivalent with proven excellent grades. She/He should have a strong commitment to critical and independent thinking and be driven towards achieving specific goals. Experience in optics and ultrafast spectroscopy will be evaluated positively. Prior knowledge on semiconductors will be a plus.
Research field(s): Physics > Semiconductor, nonlinear optical spectroscopy; Chemistry > Physical chemistry> spectroscopy
Scheduled research stays abroad (secondments):
- 4 months at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin (Germany)
- 2 months at Graz University of Technology (Austria)
- Required education level: Master’s degree or equivalent in Physicist or physical chemist with experience in spectroscopy or with semiconductors
- Required languages: English (Level: Excellent)
- Required research experience (<4 years): Physics > Semiconductor, nonlinear optical spectroscopy; Chemistry > Physical chemistry> spectroscopy
- To have obtained or to be about to obtain a Master’s degree (or a title at equivalent level) in chemistry. At the day of hiring, applicants must have been awarded a Master or equivalent degree.
- To be in the first 4 years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers.
- Not to have been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Not to have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Germany for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date (Mobility Rule).
- Applications must be written in English.
- Application must be complete.
HOW TO APPLY?
Please send your application to uhmob-recruitment [at] eurtd [dot] com including the following items:
- A letter of motivation referring to UHMob-ESR11, explaining why you apply to this position and how a PhD would suit your career objectives?
- A detailed CV including publications (if any).
- Two reference contacts.
Reference to be indicated in the email Subject: UHMob-ESR11
Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research
Department of Molecular Spectroscopy
55128 Mainz, Germany
Location Secondment n°1
Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
Institut für Physik
12489 Berlin, Germany
Location Secondment n°2
Graz University of Technology
Institute of Solid State Physics
8010 Graz, Austria
|Type of contract||Temporary (36 months)|
|Job status||Full time|
|Hours per week||39|
|Application deadline||The deadline for application is August 15, 2019. Applications will be evaluated in a continuous way and positions will be filled in as soon as possible|
|Envisaged job starting date||01/11/2019|