Design and synthesis of molecular semiconductors resilient to energetic disorder
Université Libre de Bruxelles is hiring a first stage researcher within the framework of the UHMob MSCA ITN action (GA n°811284).
Please find a detailed offer and requirements below.
Université Libre de Bruxelles – Free University of Brussels – (ULB) is a major academic institution with international recognition for scientific achievements.
Geerts group works on the design, the synthesis, and the processing of molecular semiconductors into highly ordered thin films to enhance charge transport properties.
PhD thesis to be conducted within 3 years at ULB, in the frame of UHMob.
Research topic: It is well-established from temperature-dependent charge transport measurement that mobility values are limited by structural disorder, inducing energetic disorder. Low temperature measurements afford mobility ranging from 100 to 300 cm2/Vs. It is, however, possible to engineer molecular and crystal structure of semiconductors to reach situations in which electronic coupling between adjacent molecules cause a restricted energetic disorder. It is intended to design by theory such materials, to synthesise them in sufficient amount and purity, and to distribute them for charge transport measurements.
Research field(s): Chemistry, Molecular Chemistry, Organic Electronics, Organic Synthesis, Aromatic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Crystal growth, Crystallography
Scheduled research stays abroad (secondments):
- 3 months at the University of Mons (Belgium)
- 6 months at Kyoto University (Japan)
- Required education level: Master’s degree or equivalent in Chemistry
- Required languages: English (Level: Good)
- Required research experience (<4 years): Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Aromatic chemistry, Molecular chemistry
- Skills/Qialifications: A talented highly motivated young chemist with a solid background in organic synthesis is actively searched. The candidate must have a sound knowledge of organic chemistry and physical chemistry. He/she must be open-minded, hard at work, able to work in team, rigorous, and have strong laboratory skills.
- To have obtained or to be about to obtain a Master’s degree (or a title at equivalent level) in chemistry. At the day of hiring, applicants must have been awarded a Master or equivalent degree.
- To be in the first 4 years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers.
- Not to have been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Not to have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Belgium for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date (Mobility Rule).
- Applications must be written in English.
- Application must be complete.
Applicants will be selected along four criteria:
- Education in chemistry
- Academic achievements
- Previous involvement in research
HOW TO APPLY?
Please send your application to uhmob-recruitment [at] eurtd [dot] com including the following items:
- A letter of motivation referring to UHMob-ESR1, explaining why you apply to this position and how a PhD would suit your career objectives?
- A detailed CV including publications (if any).
- Two reference contacts.
Reference to be indicated in the email Subject: UHMob-ESR1
Representative publications of Geerts’ group in the field of UHMob:
- “Synthesis of 1,6‑, 2,7‑, 3,8‑, and 4,9-Isomers of Didodecylbenzothieno-[3,2‑b]benzo-thiophenes” Christian Ruzié, Jolanta Karpinska, Alan R. Kennedy, Yves H. Geerts, Org. Chem. 2013, 78, 7741-7748
- “Bulky End-Capped Benzothieno[3,2-b]benzothiophenes: Reaching High-Mobility Organic Semiconductors by Fine Tuning of the Crystalline Solid-State Order” Guillaume Schweicher, Vincent Lemaur, Claude Niebel, Christian Ruzié, Ying Diao, Osamu Goto, Wen-Ya Lee, Yeongin Kim, Jean-Baptiste Arlin, Jolanta Karpinska, Alan R. Kennedy, Sean R. Parkin, Yoann Olivier, Stefan C. B. Mannsfeld, Jérôme Cornil, Yves H. Geerts, Zhenan Bao, Mater. 2015, 27, 3066–3072.
- “Unraveling Unprecedented Charge Carrier Mobility through Structure Property Relationship of Four Isomers of Didodecylbenzothieno[3,2-b]benzothiophene“, Yusuke Tsutsui, Guillaume Schweicher, Basab Chattopadhyay, Tsuneaki Sakurai, Jean-Baptiste Arlin, Christian Ruzié, Almaz Aliev, Artur Ciesielski, Silvia Colella, Alan R. Kennedy, Vincent Lemaur, Yoann Olivier, Rachid Hadji, Lionel Sanguinet, Frédéric Castet, Silvio Osella, Dmytro Dudenko, David Beljonne, Jérôme Cornil, Paolo Samorì, Shu Seki, Yves H. Geerts, Mater. 2016, 28, 7106-7114.
Université Libre de Bruxelles
Boulevard du Triomphe
1050 Brussels, Belgium
Location Secondment n°1
University of Mons
Place du Parc 20
7000 Mons, Belgium
Location Secondment n°2
Condensed Matter Physical Chemistry
Kyotodaigaku Katsura, Nishikyo-ku, Kyoto-shi
615-8510 Kyoto, Japan
|Type of contract||Temporary (36 months)|
|Job status||Full time|
|Hours per week||38|
|Application deadline||The deadline for application is August 15, 2019. Applications will be evaluated in a continuous way and positions will be filled in as soon as possible|
|Envisaged job starting date||01/11/2019|